Skip to main content

5 Tips for an Effective Grocery Shop

Your weekly grocery shop can be one hour out of your day that can set you up for success. Vision PT outline 5 steps for an effective grocery shop.
Weight Loss Articles
Weight Loss Articles

By John Carpenter at Mona Vale

The weekly grocery shop can often be seen as that last chore on your to-do list every Sunday that really doesn't excite you anymore like it once did the first time you moved out of home and planned all these yummy meals to cook in your own space.

However, if done effectively, your weekly grocery shop can be one hour out of your day that sets you up for massive success over the next 7 days. It will save you time as the week goes on as you'll have all your food on hand and ready to go (daily productivity improves). It'll save you money as you won't need to buy food out during the week which can often be 4-5 times more expensive per meal. It'll ensure you know what amount of macronutrients and calories you're eating and allow you to be in control of your daily intake so that you achieve your weight loss goals faster.

So, let's have a look at 5 crucial tips that will ensure you do get the most out of your grocery shop each week:

  1. Write a shopping list - again this allows you to be in control of what you buy and in turn what you eat. Make sure your list aligns with the meals you need to prepare to hit your daily calorie intake, then be disciplined to stick to the list.
  2. Don't shop when hungry - ensure you've eaten right before you go shopping. On a full stomach you won't have any cravings that force you to buy bad choice foods. We're only human and if we shop when hungry our emotions tend to get the better of us and we often grab those impulsive items that may not be conducive to our goals.
  3. 80% of your trolley should be made up of the fresh food section - aim to fill your shopping up with fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meats, raw nuts and some dairy. The other 20% comes from the aisles of the supermarket (tins of tuna, toilet paper, olive oil, toothpaste, etc. - the monthly necessities top up).
  4. Beware of sale items - impulse items these are often called. Items that are placed at the entrance, end of aisles, checkouts, and are often on sale or have a deal attached to them. They are placed strategically and have deals because they are poor processed food choices that are probably about to go off and they need to sell them quickly.
  5. Have fun and get creative - going to grab that same Leggo's pasta sauce? How about cutting up your own favourite veggies with some fresh tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper - for a beautiful homemade sauce that has less sugar, salt, fat and additives than packaged stuff. Start using more herbs and spices to add flavour with minimal calories. Crumb your chicken with LSA (fresh healthy crushed nut mix) rather than breadcrumbs for a healthy version of chicken schnitzel. The options are endless, think outside the box.

If you make the effort to implement these 5 tips, you'll not only find your weekly grocery shop becomes less of a chore, but it will start to actually excite you knowing that it is the key to having a great healthy week that catapults you towards better results (plus saves you time and money!).

*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.

Are you our next success story?

Enjoy a two week FREE experience pass, when you book a free consultation today.

Icon FacebookIcon Linkedin