Have you spent the last few summers wishing you had done something about your health and fitness and were feeling super confident in that party dress or swimsuit? Don't let this year be the same and kick start your best summer yet with these simple tips:
1. Set a timeline for your goals: So many people start a health and fitness regime with no particular date or goal in mind maybe just something wishy-washy like "Get fit for Summer". This won't keep you motivated when temptation hits during Spring Racing Carnival or Party Season, so set a specific timeline and deadline for your goal and work towards that! Maybe it is your work Christmas Party or the first day of your annual leave, but having that specific timeline will keep you motivated as you say no to that cupcake on Melbourne Cup day knowing you've only got a few more weeks til your goal has been achieved.
2. Drink a minimum of 2Ltrs of water per day: As the weather heats up so does our body's need to keep hydrated! If you aren't drinking enough there is a likelihood your body will hold on to excess fluid to stop it from dehydrating. The easiest way to stay on top of your hydration is to drink 300mL before and 300mL after each meal. This will keep you fuller and also ensure you are getting the water you need during the day! Remember also, for every 30mins of exercise drink 500mL of water extra!
3. Don't flog yourself with 100% HARD cardio: Have you ever begun a new health and fitness program and thought the best way to get results fast was to absolutely annihilate yourself with hard cardio? How did that go? I'm pretty certain the novelty would have worn off quickly! This is a common mistake lots of people make when trying to reach a goal and is often the reason they fall off the wagon! 100% of your exercise being hard cardio will not only exhaust you, your appetite will increase (meaning for the calories out there are actually more calories going in) and you will break down your body's most important tool for improving your metabolism-your muscle mass. Balance out the hard cardio with some light to moderate cardio (a good rule is 25% hard cardio and 75% light to moderate from your week's total cardio exercise) and don't forget the importance of weights training! (See our other post for notes on this!)
4. Include lots of good fat in your diet to have glowing summer skin! Ever wondered how celebrities had such super glowing dewy skin? Not only do they have the best beauty therapists going around most consume a diet with lots of good fats to keep their skin young, plump and fresh! Good Fats (found in olive oil, salmon, nuts and avocado to name just a few) don't make you fat and are an essential part to the weight loss puzzle as having a healthy dose each day ensure your body metabolises fat more effectively. This coupled with the fact that they help to absorb Vitamins A, D, E & K (vitamins that are only fat-soluble) into your bloodstream means that these vitamins that are responsible for the quality and production of our hair, skin and nails are being used effectively and are giving us brighter fresher skin, strong nails and shiny hair!
5. Get some Vitamin D! After a winter of sitting indoors, by the time spring and summer comes around lots of us are a little Vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D is a feel good vitamin and helps us to build strong healthy bones. This doesn't mean that we bake our selves in the sun when it's out but a great way to get an injection of vitamin D in the lead up to summer (so we feel our best!) is to go for a brisk walk between 9.30am and 10am for around 20-30mins in a T-Shirt and shorts. This is an ideal time as the UV rays are low but you can pick up the suns vitamin D benefits! This also helps tick off some of that light to moderate cardio from point number 3!
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.