Well don't worry, you're not alone. 76% of the workforce has reported being tired on weekdays. Does that mean only a quarter of people are energised and excited to tackle each day and live life to the fullest? A scary thought.
So, let's look at how we can tweak a few lifestyle factors to ensure we boost our energy levels and accomplish much more on a daily basis.
- Control Stress - life dishes up lots of different types of stress - work stress, nutritional stress, family stress, emotional stress, physical stress. These all take up huge amounts of energy that we could be using elsewhere for more benefit. Make sure when you are stressed you speak to someone - a loved one, colleague, psychologist, it doesn't matter who, sometimes just being able to express how you're feeling and get stuff off your chest will allow you to take back control of your stress levels. Relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, or even just taking a bubble bath can help you unwind too.
- Exercise - do what you enjoy doing. You'll look forward to getting out and moving the body if it's something you actually enjoy. Your body will then release hormones that'll make you feel energised. Another great benefit is that you'll start to notice the quality of your sleep improves, leading to a well-rested and energised body the following day.
- Food - your body's fuel source. Aim to eat small frequent meals throughout the day. This will reduce the perception of fatigue because your brain needs a steady supply of nutrients. Eat low GI foods that are absorbed slowly into the body such as whole grains, high-fibre vegetables, nuts and healthy oils.
- What to avoid/limit - smoking, alcohol, caffeine after 2pm. These habits can all affect your energy levels and bring on fatigue unnecessarily. Caffeine later in the day can cause insomnia which will affect your energy the following day.
- Drink 3 litres of water daily - a highly underrated source of energy. Our bodies are made up of 60% water, if we don't replenish our water stores and become dehydrated then that fatigue and feeling of sluggishness can creep in.
So, with a few simple tweaks to the above areas you'll be feeling energised, more productive and happier each and every day. Remember, success breeds more success, so be patient with it and stick at it. The more time goes by the more your energy will keep picking up, the sky's the limit!
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.