It's a time to kick back and celebrate what the year was. This means we all have functions and parties in which we need to attend. During this time the average Australian gains between 3-5kg through this period from the extra food and alcohol. Here are our top 5 tips to stay on track with your goals this Christmas.
- Prioritise events. By prioritising events you allow yourself to lessen the impact of this period on your body. It's important to decide now which events you may indulge at and which aren't as important where you may drive or eat beforehand.
- Planning your food intake. On the day of an event where you may not make the best food choices, it's important to plan ahead. Cutting back on your portion sizes earlier in the day will lessen the impact. It allows room for more food without going over your plan. This can be done on the before or after.
- Bring your own food. You know better than anyone else what the best choices for you are. At a family gathering where everyone is encouraged to bring a plate, why not prepare a great healthy dish to share which keeps you in line with your goals, but also adds to the festive cheer.
- Limit alcohol. Whilst not drinking at all may not be realistic to many at this time of year, it's important to consider the energy impact of alcohol. Being mindful of making better choices with alcohol (a vodka soda compared to vodka lemonade for example). Be aware of your total consumption at each function and make a plan to set a limit, take a water between each drink or plan to drive to the function.
- Exercise. Prioritising your exercise is vital at this time of year. It's quite easy to let things get in the way of exercise but it's really important to continue to get it done if not actually doing more!
Try keeping these tips in mind, this will allow you to enjoy yourself whilst staying on track and not feel guilty when the new year rolls around.