What if there was a better way to start your day? In this article, we look at the best exercise to start the day and get your body functioning and moving smoothly first thing in the morning. What if we told you, you can also do it all from the comfort of your own home with at home exercises.
Exercises To Start The Day
Here are our top 5 at home exercises to start your day off the right way. Be sure to hold each of these stretches for 1 - 2 minutes to release the muscles properly.
- Lower Back Stretch: Lying on your back, straighten one leg and bend the other, draw the bent leg across the body pressing down on the knee gently toward the ground. Make sure both shoulders are on the floor. Breathe slowly and deeply. On the breath out gradually apply more pressure to the bent knee.
- Cobra Stretch: Lying flat on your stomach, bring your hands next to your chest in the push up position. Push yourself up keeping your hips and legs on the floor, arch your back and pull your chest up to the sky. Hold for 10-20 seconds and slowly control your back to the ground. Repeat 5-6 times.
- Chest Stretch: Standing against a doorway or the corner of a wall, place one hand on the wall at head height and elbow at shoulder height making a 90 degree angle at the elbow. Keep the hand to elbow flat on the wall and turn your body away pressing your shoulder and chest into the stretch. Adjust the height of your hand either higher or lower to create a better stretch for you. Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds and repeat twice.
- Neck Stretch: Standing or sitting, relax your neck and shoulders bringing them back and down away from the ears. Raise one hand over to the opposite side/top and pull your head gently down (ear towards your shoulder). On every breath out gradually increase the intensity of the stretch. Hold for 20-30 seconds, repeat twice each side.
- Quad Stretch: Whilst standing up, hold onto something stable to balance. Stand on one leg, bend the knee behind you and bring your foot towards your butt holding the ankle. To feel the stretch even more, tuck your pelvis under your hips and drive forward. Make sure you stand tall and keep the knee in line with your standing leg.
We know you’ll love these at home exercises, not only is it a nice way to start your morning, but there’s also multiple benefits to stretching daily.
We know you will love these exercises to start the day, but be sure to, always stretch safely. When stretching, don’t rush it and listen to your body. Don’t push it to a point where you feel pain. It should feel like a pleasant stretch and make sure you breathe into the stretch before increasing the range of motion. If you want to learn more about stretching and the importance of it, come to one of our stretch classes or contact the Studio for more help!