It's nearly time, just 2 days to go until all your hard work comes to an end for this year's City2Surf. Here's a few pre and post race rituals of our own:
- Get stuff ready the night before - chances are you'll be up at the crack of dawn to get into the city for the start time. Get your kit ready the night before so you can put it straight on when you wake up
- Plan journey - Sydney transport is free for all participants, just show your bib before you board. Check out: https://transportnsw.info/events/2017/08/city2surf-2017 for more info.
- Safety pins - You'll need four safety pins to attach your bib to your shirt. They do have them at the start line, but save yourself time and get them ready the night before.
- Nutrition - Make sure you've had a good meal the night before with plenty of healthy carbs to keep your energy levels up for the race. Don't go overboard on the morning of the race though. A small bowl of porridge or a small banana should keep you going until after the race…you don't want to be running on a full stomach!
- Hydrate yourself - there will be plenty of hydration stations along the route, but make sure you're hydrated before you start the race, especially if it's forecasted to be a warm day.
Go to the bathroom - there will be plenty of bathrooms at the start area and along the route. Make sure the call of nature doesn't get in the way of enjoying the race.
- Nutrition - make sure you give yourself a good re-feed. Don't go straight for the schooners without having a good post-race meal inside you with plenty of healthy carbs and protein and restore your energy stores and sore muscles
- Bath with Epsom salts - talking of sore muscles, run yourself a post-race bath that evening and fill it with Epsom salts to relieve pain and reduce inflammation
- Book yourself a well deserved post-race massage. Chances are you'll be feeling it the following day or even the day after. Not being able to walk properly is not an option. Treat yourself to a highly recommended massage from our preferred partners at http://fusionmassage.com.au/
Finally, enjoy yourself…and congratulate yourself! Well done, you've made it. Heartbreak Hill didn't defeat you and you've cross the line with friends and family there to meet you. Time to let your hair down!
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.