When I work with people on the goal setting process it is important to first understand that reachable goals are CONSISTENT WITH YOUR VALUES. It is also important to note: The act of writing your goals down vastly increases your chances of success.
In saying this, I have developed 5 tips to assist you towards achieving your goals. I trust you will see value in this, and I wish you all the best on your journey!
5 Tips for Effective Goal Setting:
- Set a Specific Goal. Your brain can help you accomplish almost anything if it knows precisely what you are aiming for. It's hard to achieve "I want to be Happy" or "I want to Feel Better" but you CAN run 10km in 50 minutes or lose 10kg for your wedding in March. Instead of saying I want to 'Lose Weight' - set a specific amount of weight you wish to lose. Never word a goal with vague terms. Be specific!
- Measure Your Progress & Keep Your Goals Simple. Keep your goals simple, clear, and focused. This is so important. Measure your progress along the way. The more progress you can see yourself making the more confident you will feel about reaching your goal. Weekly Weigh Ins work for some, others may choose to measure their progress through their clothing and for fitness goals recording your times can keep you on track. Whatever works for you, make sure you measure regularly and celebrate your progress!
- Keep yourself Accountable & Set a Goal that has Significance. No one can muster the enthusiasm, hard work and courage it takes to reach a goal they don't really care about. A significant goal is something that will change your life, enhance your health or wealth, and make you proud. Make your goals known to friends and family. Your goals should create excitement and draw in support and encouragement. Accountability is crucial to keep you on track and engaged on your journey so hire a coach to keep you on track.
- Set a Goal that is Reachable. Reachable goals are STRATEGIC. You will need a plan with smaller targets to check off along the way. High achievers know that the best goals can accomplish many great outcomes, all at one time. You can design your goals to strategically impact as many areas of your life as possible. How will losing weight impact other areas of your life? If you can link a goal to impact many areas of your life you'll have more reasons to reach your goal and there will be more excitement when you do!
- Set a Specific Date. Setting a specific date will help you stay focused and may provide you with that sense of urgency as the date nears or keep you from relapsing when you hit some road blocks. Again tell people close to you of this date so they can stay supportive until you have fully reached your goal. Motivating dates can be a birthday, a wedding, a holiday, a reunion or any special event you may have coming up.
I wish you all the best on your journey and I am sure with the right people around you, you can achieve any Goal using these tips.
Director - Vision Personal Training Brighton
*Disclaimer: Individual results vary based on agreed goals. Click here for details.